Skip to content

Radiation Protection advisors

Employers who work with ionising radiation will need to consult a suitable RPA for advice on complying with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17).

IRR17 specifies matters which employers are required to consult an RPA which includes Radiation Risk Assessments (RRAs). ONR has published guidance on transport RRAs.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Publication L121 'Work with Ionising Radiation' provides guidance that an employer, who intends to consult a suitable RPA must appoint the RPA in writing. This is intended to formalise the terms of the arrangement between the RPA and the employer, by specifying the scope of the advice the RPA is required to give. However, L121 also provides guidance that an appointment in writing is not required for an initial consultation.  For example where the RPA is only asked to advise the employer if, given the nature of the work with (ionising radiation, formal consultation is necessary.

If an individual wishes to act as an RPA they must either:

  • hold a valid certificate of competence from an organisation recognised by HSE as an Assessing Body for the certification of individual RPAs; or
  • hold a National or Scottish Vocational Qualification (N/SVQ) level 4 in Radiation Protection Practice issued within the last five years.

If an organisation wishes to act as an ‘RPA Body' it must apply to HSE.

There is currently one Assessing Body recognised for the certification of individual RPAs by the HSE. RPA 2000 is a non-profit making company, set up in the year 2000, solely for the purpose of certifying competence in ionising and non-ionising radiation protection practice.

A list of RPA certificate holders can be found on the RPA 2000 website.

A list of recognised ‘RPA Bodies' can be found on the HSE website which also provides detailed information about RPAs.