Office for Nuclear Regulation

This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Import licensing

UK withdrawal from the European Union

In the event the UK leaves the EU with no Brexit deal, importers of relevant nuclear materials from the EU will also be required to obtain a licence. As this will apply from exit day, applications for licences for EU imports can be made from 1 February 2019 using the forms below.

See GOV.UK for further information

The Open General Import Licence (OGIL) allows all goods to be imported into the United Kingdom. However, the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy proscribes certain goods, which are detailed within the Schedule to the OGIL, and may restrict or even ban the import of such goods.

For safety and security reasons, relevant nuclear materials are amongst those commodities that may not be imported under the OGIL and require individual import licences.

Importers must apply to the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) for a licence to import the following nuclear materials:

Tariff heading

ex 26 12

Uranium Ore concentrates.

ex 28 44

Plutonium, Uranium 233, Uranium enriched in the isotopes 233 or 235, natural Uranium and mixtures, compounds and alloys containing any of the foregoing, including spent or irradiated nuclear reactor fuel elements (cartridges).

It should be noted that in order for the UK to meet its international obligations it is unlikely that a licence would be granted to import nuclear materials from a state not party to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material.

The forms needed to apply for an import licence are available for download here. As an original signature is needed it is not possible to electronically return applications to ONR.

The forms can be downloaded and completed electronically but the completed application should be printed, signed and submitted by post or courier to ONR.  Applications cannot be sent over the Internet or by e-mail.

Import licensing restrictions

ILB publicises its restrictions by issuing Notices to Importers. Notices covering the current restrictions, including nuclear materials, are available on their website (details below).

Import licences for other goods

If you have any queries about Import Licensing for other goods, please refer to the ILB website.