Office for Nuclear Regulation

This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Import licensing

The Open General Import Licence (OGIL) allows all goods to be imported into the United Kingdom. However, the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills proscribes certain goods, which are detailed within the Schedule to the OGIL, and may restrict or even ban the import of such goods.

For safety and security reasons nuclear materials are amongst those commodities that may not be imported under the OGIL (unless consigned from a member state of the European Community) and require individual import licences.

Importers must apply to ONR for a licence to import the following nuclear materials from outside of the European Community:

Tariff heading

ex 26 12

Uranium Ore concentrates.

ex 28 44

Plutonium, Uranium 233, Uranium enriched in the isotopes 233 or 235, natural Uranium and mixtures, compounds and alloys containing any of the foregoing, including spent or irradiated nuclear reactor fuel elements (cartridges).

It should be noted that in order for the UK to meet its international obligations it is unlikely that a licence would be granted to import nuclear materials from a state not party to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material.

The forms needed to apply for an import licence are available for download here. As an original signature is needed it is not possible to electronically return applications to CNS.

The forms can be downloaded and allow completion on a computer but it is still necessary to print the completed application, sign it and forward by post or courier to CNS. It is not possible to send applications over the Internet or by e-mail.

Import licensing restrictions

ILB publicises its restrictions by issuing Notices to Importers. Notices covering the current which are available on their website (details below).

Import licences for other goods

If you have any queries about Import Licensing for other goods, please refer to the ILB website.