Office for Nuclear Regulation

This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Nuclear Safety Inspector - Control and instrumentation

What does control and instrumentation (C&I) mean in ONR?

Within the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), we focus on C&I systems that are capable of achieving SILs 1-4 systems as assigned by BS IEC 61508 and/or Classes 1-3 systems as described in BS IEC 61226. C&I safety and safety related systems can play a significant role in the safety of many nuclear facilities and therefore ONR requires experts with good experience in their design (essential), installation, maintenance and/or commissioning. An understanding of modern analysis techniques, such as those specified in BS IEC 61508, is required and an ability to communicate the challenges associated with complex C&I-based safety systems to a wider group of nuclear inspectors from other disciplines.

Who do we need?

We are looking for experts who have knowledge and experience in the design and safety analysis of either the hardware and/or software aspects of SILs 1-4 safety systems for nuclear chemical processing or defence facilities and Class 1-3 systems for nuclear power plants. Similar experience on high-hazard plant or work on mission critical facilities would also be considered. For applicants with software engineering expertise, we require a good understanding of modern static and dynamic analysis software techniques. For applicants with hardware expertise, we require a good understanding of concepts associated with functional safety, such as safe failure fraction and the role of diagnostics. It would be an advantage for applicants to have some knowledge and experience of probabilistic analysis techniques such as reliability block diagrams, fault trees, event trees and FMEA techniques. Experience in the installation, commissioning and/or maintenance of safety systems used in nuclear or high-hazard facilities is also an area of expertise that we are seeking.

As well as providing guidance and advice within your specialism, you would need to be able to lead on the technical assessment of safety system aspects of safety cases (with occasional support from other specialist inspectors). Is that something you could take on? If so, send us your application.

Which areas are we interested in?

We are looking for people with specialist knowledge and experience in one (or more) of the following areas:

How to apply

Please visit our recruitment portal.