HPC Site Inspection
- Site: Hinkley Point C
- IR number: 14-103
- Date: July 2014
- LC numbers: N/A
Purpose of intervention
To conduct planned inspection of compliance with the nuclear site licence, discuss the early earthworks programme and NNB GenCo's Integrated Management System portal.
Interventions Carried Out by ONR
Inspection of NNB GenCo's implementation of arrangements for compliance with:
- Licence Condition 7: Incidents on the site;
- Licence Condition 11: Emergency arrangements;
Information gathering inspection of:
- Earthworks Contract Indicative Future Programme;
- NNB GenCo Integrated Management System - Bronze Access to the IMS Portal.
Key Findings, Inspector's Opinions and Reasons for Judgements Made
Licence Condition 7. The Hinkley Point C site:
- has demonstrated the use of the OLIM tool to record and respond to the lessons learned from the 11 kV substation project;
- is using the OLIM tool to facilitate its response to, and learning from, incidents on the site as well as other sources of learning;
- is working with the NNB GenCo's Organisational Learning Lead to improve the functionality and sustainability of the OLIM tool and thus facilitate the site's ability to comply with Licence Condition 7.
Licence Condition 11
- The emergency exercise Copenhagen provided a satisfactory desktop demonstration of Hinkley Point C's arrangements for responding to notifications arising from an incident on the Hinkley Point B site.
- The site has implemented learning from the 2013 Level 1 Demonstration Exercise and proposed an acceptable programme of exercises for 2014.
- Earthworks Contract Indicative Future Programme. The meeting provided a comprehensive explanation of the earthworks contract and the various constraints on significant excavation, water management zones, and initiation of dewatering.
- NNB GenCo Integrated Management System. NNB GenCo is applying the appropriate level of governance and control over the processes accessed via the Integrated Management System portal. The portal provides a convenient, and relatively easy to follow, graphical user interface for navigating the Integrated Management System processes that constitute the licensee's arrangements for compliance with the nuclear site licence.
Conclusion of Intervention
I conclude that Hinkley Point C's arrangements for complying with Licence Condition 7: Incidents on the site to be adequate for this stage of the project and that the site is committed to their continued development as it prepares to commence significant earthworks activity
I conclude that Hinkley Point C has adequate arrangements for complying with Licence Condition 11 for this stage of the project and is continuing to develop its emergency response organisation and site infrastructure in line with the current project schedule.
I conclude that the Earthworks Project Manager and site personnel demonstrated an acceptable understanding of the arrangements for managing significant project hold points. The site is currently preparing its submission to the Hold Point Panel for the release of the hold point constraining significant excavation.
I conclude that Bronze access to the NNB GenCo Integrated Management System portal provides ONR inspectors with a level of access to the management arrangements that will aid the planning and execution of compliance inspection.