LC 8, LC 14 and Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 inspection
- Site: Hinkley Point A
- IR number: 19-048
- Date: June 2019
- LC numbers: 8, 14
Purpose of Intervention
ONR undertook this inspection to examine the posting of warning notices for informing people of actions to take in the event of an emergency, the arrangements for the production and assessment of safety cases, and the arrangements for controlling exposure to ionising radiations. This was a planned inspection at Hinkley Point A as detailed in ONR’s plan for the site, and in support of ONR’s Decommissioning Fuel and Waste sub-division strategy.
Interventions Carried Out by ONR
ONR inspected the site’s compliance with:
- Licence Condition (LC) 8: Warning Notices;
- LC14: Safety Documentation; and
- Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17)
The inspection comprised of an examination of a sample of the licensee’s arrangements and associated records, discussions with employees, and a plant walk-down of key radiological facilities.
Explanation of Judgement if Safety System Not Judged to be Adequate
Key Findings, Inspector's Opinions and Reasons for Judgements Made
Based upon the evidence sampled it is the ONR inspectors’ judgement that Magnox Ltd is, at the Hinkley Point A site, complying with both the Licence Conditions inspected and the Ionising Radiation Regulations 2017. The key findings and rationale for this judgement is as follows:
- Suitable and sufficient notices are posted so that persons on the site are informed of the meaning of any warning signal, the location of emergency exits, and the measures to be taken in the event of a fire or emergency;
- The licensee’s arrangements for safety documentation are broadly in line with relevant good practice and these arrangements have been implemented adequately;
- The licensee’s primary compliance document - Radiological Safety Rules - is broadly consistent with IRR17 and the Approved Code of Practice;
- The licensee has adequate access to radiation protection specialist resource in the form of Accredited Health Physicists, Radiation Protection Advisers, and Radiation Protection Supervisors; and
- The licensee is ensuring that exposure to employees in the areas inspected is adequately controlled.
Conclusion of Intervention
It is the opinion of ONR’s inspectors that overall the licensee is complying with the requirements of LC8, LC14 and those elements of IRR17 which were inspected. Feedback was provided to the licensee at the end of the inspection; this included advice and a small number of minor observations.