Dounreay - Transport Interventions to support GB/4469, GB/2816 and GB/4085A Package Permissioning
- Site: Dounreay
- IR number: 18-035
- Date: July 2018
- LC numbers: N/A
ONR inspected Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd (DSRL) arrangements at Dounreay site in relation to the safe transport of radioactive material. The inspection also supported the ongoing permissioning of transport safety case submissions associated with the Dounreay Exotics Consolidation Programme (DECP).
Purpose of Intervention
The purpose of the inspection was to:
- sample the adequacy of the arrangements for the transport of radioactive material, and compliance with the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009 at DSRL;
- gain confidence in DSRL’s implementation of the transport safety cases associated with DECP ;
- provide evidence to support further permissions of transport safety case submissions associated with DECP:
- maintain a baseline to allow ONR to compare future performance/compliance with respect to relevant transport regulations.
Interventions Carried Out by ONR
The inspection reviewed DSRL arrangements to meet the requirements of the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009.
The intervention focused on the transport packages that are being used for DECP.
- meeting requirements identified in transport safety cases.
- loading operations and methods of recovery from problems.
- confirmation of contents in consignments.
- quality of goods and services procured.
- training of operators carrying out nuclear transport operations.
- DSRL Offsite Transport Emergency Arrangements in relation to DECP.
Explanation of Judgement if Safety System Not Judged to be Adequate
N/A – not a System/Structure Based Inspection.
Key Findings, Inspector's Opinions and Reasons for Judgements Made
The findings of the inspection were shared and accepted by DSRL. There were two instances of good practice identified that provided confidence in the implementation of the safety case and some suggestions where potential improvements could be made.
Conclusion of Intervention
This inspection identified no major issues of safety concern or safety importance that might warrant follow up inspection to support permissioning activities as DECP continues.