Transport inspection at Wylfa
- IR number: 16-027
- Date: September 2016
- LC numbers: N/A
Purpose of Intervention
The purpose of the intervention was:
- To confirm, or otherwise, the existence and adequacy of the organisation's management system arrangements relative to the safe transport of radioactive materials.
- To inform and revise the ONR Transport Work Stream 2 Capability map for Magnox Wylfa. Which enables ongoing monitoring of performance and compliance against current transport regulations, Package Certificate of Approval conditions verification of safety case claims and stated operational controls.
- To inform the ONR Transport risk based inspection programme. Provide intelligence for assurance aspects of the ONR Transport Permissioning process for Package approval submissions.
- Consider the arrangements and capability of Wylfa to undertake flask loading and consignment, using suitably trained and competent operatives, to meet a demanding programme for defueling. To improve safety outcomes by assuring, and where necessary, improving levels of industry compliance with regulatory requirements and encouraging relevant good practice.
Interventions Carried Out by ONR
The inspection reviewed Magnox Wylfa's arrangements in respect of the safe transport of radioactive material, against the requirements of the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009 (as amended 2011).
Explanation of Judgement if Safety System Not Judged to be Adequate
Not applicable to this Transport Compliance Inspection.
Key Findings, Inspector's Opinions and Reasons for Judgements Made
The Transport Inspector sampled the transport arrangements deployed by Wylfa for the safe transport of radioactive material, including the associated management system documents. In this instance this included package maintenance operations, flask loading, consignment and staff training.
- The Inspector compared relevant statutory requirements with both prescribed arrangements and actual practice.
- Annex A contains a list of attendees from the Opening and Closing meetings.
- The agreed inspection plan is at Annex B.
- Principal documents presented during the inspection are listed at Annex C.
No Findings were raised during the inspection.
Conclusion of Intervention
ONR's assessment on the acceptability of an organisation's Management System is influenced by:
- The content of the Management System.
- The organisation's compliance with the Management System.
Not all areas of Magnox Limited's Management System were sampled during this inspection, but those documents that were inspected indicated a mature system for off-site transportation of radioactive material.
The Package maintenance, filling and consignment operations reviewed during the course of this inspection met planned arrangements and regulatory requirements. Hence in the opinion of the ONR Inspector these aspects of Transport arrangements are considered to be adequate.
In conclusion the arrangements employed Wylfa in relation to the transport of radioactive material are considered acceptable for the purposes of compliance with the requirements of the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009 (as amended 2011).