Site inspection - Chapelcross
- Site: Chapelcross
- IR number: 16-098
- Date: August 2016
- LC numbers: 17, 26, 36
Purpose of intervention
This report covers interventions in pursuit of the ONR integrated intervention strategy for Chapelcross, in particular to address regulatory issues identified as part of Inspection plan and carry out the planned Compliance inspections
Interventions Carried Out by ONR
This report covers interventions at Chapelcross to address Compliance inspection as follows:-
- LC 17 - Compliance inspection
- LC 26 - Compliance inspection
- LC 36 - Compliance Inspection.
Explanation of Judgement if Safety System Not Judged to be Adequate
Not Applicable in this inspection.
Key Findings, Inspector's Opinions and Reasons for Judgements Made
Only the Compliance inspections and follow-up inspections are included in the executive summary as all other interventions are for information only.
- LC 17 - The purpose of the intervention was to undertake an inspection of the licence arrangements and implementation under LC 17. LC 17 'Management systems' requires the licensee to establish and implement management systems which give due priority to safety. ONR noted that the site had not commenced the routine internal audit programme for the year owing to a shortfall of resource, and considered this significant. ONR noted that the site is addressing the shortfall with training of auditors but has considered the position deficient and has rated the inspection as amber and will be raising an issue on the site to address the situation.
- LC 26 - The purpose of the intervention was to undertake an inspection of the licence arrangements and implementation under LC 26. LC 26 'Control and supervision of operations' requires the licensee to ensure that no operations are carried out which may affect safety except under the control and supervision of suitably qualified and experienced persons appointed for that purpose by the licensee. ONR noted the good control and supervision arrangements for operations in the pond. However, ONR noted a significant deficiency with regard to the control and supervision of contractors in that the site engineers are not appointed under the Licence condition for the purposes of control and supervision. ONR notes the issue with the corporate arrangements and will be raising an issue on the site to seek to address this deficiency.
- LC 36 - The purpose of the intervention was to undertake an inspection of the licence arrangements and implementation under LC 36. LC 36 'Organisational capability'' requires the licensee to provide and maintain adequate financial and human resources to ensure the safe operation of the licensed site. ONR reviewed the baseline and had a number of comments regarding the resource, particularly the need to justify the trigger level and also the understanding of any off site support for the baseline functions, but generally the baseline is understood and the various risks and vulnerabilities are being managed adequately.
Conclusion of Intervention
Overall, on balance, I award an inspection rating of green for LC 36 and amber for LC 17 and LC 26.
The inspection raised two issues, one regarding LC 17 regarding internal audits and one regarding LC 26 on control and supervision arrangements for contractors. These will be communicated to site via a formal letter.