Office for Nuclear Regulation
Cape & Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station
- Date released
- 30 May 2019
- Request number
- Release of information under
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Whether Cape manufactured insulation products containing asbestos in the early to mid 1970s?
- Was Cape Insulation a contractor of Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station?
- Was asbestos used at Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station?
- Whilst it is widely accepted that the Cape Group manufactured asbestos products in various locations within the UK and beyond, a point acknowledged on Cape’s own website, ONR holds no specific information on this.
- ONR holds no record of whether Cape Insulation was a contractor at Hartlepool power station.
- Asbestos was used widely within the construction of many industrial sites, including at Hartlepool power station. ONR has received notifications from licensed asbestos removal companies to remove asbestos from Hartlepool Power Station, from which it appears reasonable to infer that asbestos was used in the construction of the station.
PIT (Public Interest Test) if applicable